SOCR Events UCCP2008
- 1 SOCR News - UCCP / UCLA CDI / SOCR Meeting, October 17, 2008
- 1.1 Summary
- 1.2 Agenda
- 1.2.1 Attendees
- 1.2.2 Agenda Outline
- 188.8.131.52 Topic: UCCP Purpose, Preface, & Perspective 1:30 p.m. ~ 2:00 p.m.
- 184.108.40.206 Topic: SOCR Material as courses resource 2:00 p.m. ~ 3:30 p.m.
- 220.127.116.11 Break 3:30 - 3:45 p.m.
- 18.104.22.168 Topic: Exploring Collaborative Models 3:45 p.m. ~ 4:45 p.m.
- 22.214.171.124 Topic: Next Steps and Questions/Answers 4:45 p.m. ~ 5:30 p.m.
- 1.3 SOCR Presentation
- 1.4 Additional Materials
The UCCP, UCLA CDI and SOCR representatives meet on October 17, 2008 to discuss plans for designing a college preparation curriculum for statistics education utilizing the open, multilingual and IT-blended SOCR resources.
Topic: UCCP Purpose, Preface, & Perspective 1:30 p.m. ~ 2:00 p.m.
Background about why we are preparing to publish Statistics courses developed by UCLA CDI
- Innovation, Highly Interactive Multimedia, Collaboration, Vision Alignment
- Open Educational Resources
- Brief PowerPoint Presentation
Topic: SOCR Material as courses resource 2:00 p.m. ~ 3:30 p.m.
Discussion: Ivo and Nikolas show what SOCR has to offer via Internet presentation of resources and discussion items 1. Describe and show and demo the available array of extant material 2. Describe level of willingness to collaborate and participate 3. Describe modularity of existing learning objects and how they might be made available for use in the courses
Break 3:30 - 3:45 p.m.
Topic: Exploring Collaborative Models 3:45 p.m. ~ 4:45 p.m.
How will this collaboration work and what does our proposed timeline look like? (suggestions below)
- Library: Reciprocal access to common content or data
- Solicitation: Moderated requests and responses using small number of requestors and large number of respondents
- Team: Shared stake in success of the courses; possible co-editing
- Community: Establish a Community of Practice or Interest to read and write content, with moderation
- Process Support: Use of collaboration technologies generating customized forms/sites to facilitate content flow to CDI
Topic: Next Steps and Questions/Answers 4:45 p.m. ~ 5:30 p.m.
Next Steps + Set Next Meeting
- Project Management Model @ UC College Prep
- Q & A
- Action Items
The overarching aim of the Statistics Online Computational Resource (SOCR) are to design, validate and freely disseminate knowledge using modern information and communication technologies. We showcase our multi-disciplinary instructional materials, extensible computational libraries and interactive hands-on activities, which are available anonymously and in their entirety over the Internet to all users all the times (www.SOCR.ucla.edu).
- What is SOCR (http://socr.ucla.edu/)?
- History http://socr.ucla.edu/htmls/SOCR_Acknowledgements.html
- Resource types: data + methods + demonstrations + tools
- About SOCR: http://socr.ucla.edu/htmls/SOCR_About.html
- SOCR Users and GeoMap: http://www.socr.ucla.edu/SOCR_UserGoogleMap.html
- EBook: http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/EBook
- SOCR HT Viewer: http://socr.ucla.edu/SOCR_HT_ResourceViewer.html
- SOCR News (http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/SOCR_Events_SMC2008)
- In teaching and educational research, one-size-rarely-fits-all. SOCR resources provide materials, tools and infrastructure for instructors to build course curricula tailored for their specific courses and student needs.
- All SOCR materials are open (development and usage)
- Multilingual resources
- Integrated data + methods + demonstrations + tools!
- Data: http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/SOCR_Data
- Methods: http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/EBook
- Demonstration/Activities: http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/SOCR_EduMaterials
- Tools: (e.g., Analyses: http://socr.ucla.edu/htmls/SOCR_Analyses.html)
- SOCR Usage in Middle/High School
- Intensive 3-day SOCR Continuing Education Workshop, August 10-12, 2009 at UCLA
- SOCR Brochure
- SOCR Home page: http://www.socr.umich.edu
Translate this page: